Most of the major manufacturers produce Energy Star Rated TPO roofing membranes which must, by definition, have an Initial Solar Reflectance value greater than or equal to 0.65. The benefits to having an Energy Star Rated roofing system are multi-fold:
- Upgrading an existing roof to an Energy Star rated EPA “cool roof” qualifies owners for various federal tax credits.
- Savings on cooling bills will accrue immediately.
- HVAC systems undergo less stress and enjoy extended service life.
- Energy Star Rated TPO roofing reduces carbon emissions and helps lessen the heat island effect.
Lone Star Flat Roof Construction, LLC. is factory certified to install Energy Star Rated TPO roofing, thermal roof coatings and other EPA cool roofs. Tax law is currently evolving with respect to energy credits. Information found on this or any other site may be out of date by the time you read it. We will help you obtain the maximum tax credit rebate available.
Cool Roofing Systems
In addition to TPO, we also offer other EPA approved cool roofing systems including:
- Urethane and acrylic based roof coating systems modified with ceramic granule “microspheres”.
- Energy efficient single ply roofing.
- White PVC roofing membranes (Polyvinyl chloride).
- Aluminum backed S.B.S. or A.P.P Modified Bitumen Torch Down Rubber roofing.
- Thermally Reflective Roof Coatings.
- Reflective Metal roof coatings.
- Spray Foam Roofing repair.
- Emissive Flat roof coatings.
- Aluminum flake thermal roof coatings.
- Call for information about other Cool Roofing Systems.
Green Roofing Systems
Ever heard of Green Roofing Systems? While initially describing energy efficient roofing in general, green roofing has come more and more to refer to roofing systems comprised of specialized waterproofing layers covered with actual vegetation. Depending on the system, there may also be layers to facilitate roots, drainage and irrigation. You may have seen this type of roofing in action over restaurants such as Carrabba’s or over high end urban condominiums.
Like with all expensive decisions, there are many factors to weigh when considering installing a vegetative roof. The benefits are obvious- superior insulation, natural rainwater retention and all around environmental friendliness. The disadvantages really revolve around two issues: cost and complication.
Vegetative green roofing systems can cost from $15 to $75 per square foot to install. Maintenance can also be an issue. There is no easy way to find a leak underneath a tree.
Federal Energy Tax Credit
Disclaimer: Tax law discussed herein is currently evolving. Contact us or your tax professional for the latest information.
There are Federal Energy Tax Credits immediately available for Commercial Properties under provisions of the Federal Energy Policy Act of 2005. The act allows you to deduct from the cost of installing an energy efficiency upgrade in the same year the upgrade is completed, rather than over a long period of time. Here are some of the highlights:
- Applies to Commercial Buildings including tenant owned and rental properties.
- Applies to all “building envelope” upgrades including the roof, walls, lighting systems and air conditioning systems.
- Valid for improvements installed from 2006 through 2013 with extension likely.
- Credit is capped at the lesser of investment cost or:
- $1.80/sq.ft. if the whole building efficiency improves by 50% or better.
- $0.60/sq.ft. for individual Energy Star rated systems such as roofing, lighting or HVAC
This can add up to quite a bit in savings. For a 400,000 square foot building, an owner who performed upgrades resulting in total building envelope energy efficiency improvement of 50% would enjoy a tax deduction of $720,000.00 in addition to the immediate savings in energy bills. He could claim a $240,000.00 rebate for the roofing system alone.
There are many factors at work here and the law can get a bit technical. Let one of our experts help guide you to make the very best decision. We are commercial roofing contractors based in Dallas certified to install Energy Star Rated TPO Roofing, Thermally reflective roof coatings and EPA rated Cool Roofs. We will help you claim your Federal energy tax credit.